I don’t know about you guys but we absolutely adore one pot meals! They’re super easy to cook, you only have to clean the one pot, and they usually add a much needed flavor upgrade to our regular pasta nights. This past week we had a hankering for something different, and by different I mean spicy! So onto Pinterest I went to find a recipe to satisfy our cravings and I found this awesome Cajun Chicken Pasta recipe from the website Budget Bytes that I then mildly tweaked to make our own!
How I Tweaked the Recipe.
The recipe originally calls for chicken, but being as the husband is real stand offish about any poultry I cook, I opted for some spicy Jalapeno chicken sausage to liven the dish. We also omitted the onion and added a smidge less cayenne pepper than called for, swapped out penne for bow ties and it was a hit!
Super Easy One Pot Creamy Cajun Pasta!
So without further ado lets get down to business on what you’ll need to make this heat wave of a dish! I followed super closely the recipe from Budget Bytes and I highly recommend you check out their original post because it has a wicked helpful video on how to make this awesome dish!
1 tsp Oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (less or more to taste)
2 tsp paprika
2 cups chicken broth
5 cups of pasta of your choice
15 ounces fire roasted tomatoes
1/2 tbsp butter
4 oz cream cheese
2 Sausage Links of choice (I used Al Fresco Jalapeno Chicken Sausage)
Before you begin I suggest placing all spices together in a small bowl and placing off to the side for easy access once you begin cooking.
1. In a large skillet heat butter over medium heat until the pan is coated, slice sausages and cook over medium heat until skin is brown and the sausage is cooked through.
2. Add in pasta, tomatoes, and chicken broth to the skillet with the sausage. Stir in your spices and bring to a simmer.
3. Once simmering, cover for about ten minutes stirring a few times to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom.
4. Once the meal has simmered the sauce should thicken, make sure your pasta is cooked all the way and then add in the cream cheese. Stir frequently until a creamy sauce is formed.
5. Once the sauce is sufficiently creamy, plate and serve hot!
Having made this for the first time last week, it was only myself, my husband, and my mother in law that ate it, but we managed to devour all but about 1/4 cup of it that night. A party in your mouth so to speak, this recipe is definitely one that brought a new flavor and appreciation into our dinner time routine, and I will definitely be making it again!